Follow by Email

Friday, June 16, 2017

Today's Surrey version: Set me Free (and At the Grave of Asa Benveniste)

I am going to post these poems as I write them, because of the topicality of their subjects. I shall also only leave them up temporarily, during the composition process. I'm thinking of posting no more than 3 at any one time on the blog. See here to check for poems from other days...


Set Me Free

Turn the unflamed heat up on the EU negotiations
Or turn the air con to 11 and freeze my misty words mid air
Let me step outside round the back where there aren’t any slack reporters
Or Britain First heavies attacking Ramadan first aiders

Stick me at the bottom of the pile or send me over the top
Keep me in the smoking dark or shed some light on inflammable cladding
Under clear skies of electoral peace or in the fog of class war
With a bunch of Corbyn kids or a crowd of eco-crusties

Set me up to fail on ground floor penthouse or in basement
Or up Hepstonstall’s winds with Benve

niste or crashing below Hebden’s floodline
Tie me down set me free wherever I am
Choked in a tower block or jogging post-industrial canal paths

I’m following you on Twitter single-mindedly
You’re my half hope in a world gone contrarious

(Unfortunately Asa disappears from the poem from now on. But yesterday I did place a stone on the grave and read a poem. Photograph taken by the excellent young poet Brendan Quinn)

OR



Set Me Free

Turn the heat up on the EU negotiations
Or turn the air con to full and freeze my misty words mid air
Let me step outside round the back where there aren’t any slack reporters
Or Britain First heavies attacking Ramadan first aiders

Stick me at the bottom of the pile or send me over the top
Keep me in the smoking dark or shed some light on inflammable cladding
Under clear skies of electoral peace or in the fog of class war
With a bunch of Corbyn kids or a crowd of eco-crusties

Set me up to fail on ground floor penthouse or in basement
Or halfway up where fire spreads like a virus (or up Hepstonstall’s winds
or crashing below Hebden’s floodline) Tie me down or set me free wherever I am
Choked in a tower block or jogging post-industrial canal paths

I’m following you on Twitter single-mindedly
You’re my half hope in a world turned contrarious

OR


Set Me Free

Turn the heat up on the EU negotiations
Or turn the air con to full and freeze my misty words mid air
Let me step outside round the back where there aren’t any reporters
Or Britain First heavies attacking Ramadan first aiders

Stick me at the bottom of the pile or send me over the top
Keep me in the smoking dark or shed some light on inflammable cladding
Under clear skies of electoral peace or in the fog of class war
With a bunch of Corbyn kids or a crowd of eco-crusties

Set me up to fail on ground floor in penthouse or basement
Or halfway up where fire spreads like a virus Tie me down or set me free wherever I am: up Hepstonstall’s winds or crashing below Hebden’s floodline
Or choked in a tower block or jogging the canal path


I’m following you on Twitter single-mindedly
You’re my half hope in a world turned contrarious



Set me up to fail on ground floor in penthouse or basement
Or halfway up where fire spreads like a virus (or up Hepstonstall’s winds
or crashing below Hebden’s floodline) Tie me down or set me free wherever I am
Choked in a tower block or jogging post-industrial canal paths


OR



Set Me Free

Turn the heat up on the EU negotiations
Or turn the air con to full and freeze my misty words mid air
Let me step outside round the back where there aren’t any reporters
Or Britain First heavies attacking Ramadan first aiders

Stick me at the bottom of the pile or send me over the top
Keep me in the smoking dark or shed some light on inflammable cladding
Under clear skies of electoral peace or in the fog of class war
With a bunch of Corbyn kids or a crowd of eco-crusties

Set me up to fail on ground floor in penthouse or basement
Or halfway up where fire spreads like a virus
Tie me down or set me free wherever I am:
up Hepstonstall’s winds or crashing below Hebden’s floodline

Or choked in a tower block or jogging the canal path
You’re my only half hope in a world turned contrarious




Set Me Free

Turn the heat up on the EU negotiations
Or turn the air con to full and freeze my misty words mid air
Let me step outside round the back where there aren’t any reporters
Or Britain First heavies attacking Ramadan first aiders

Stick me at the bottom of the pile or send me over the top
Keep me in the smoking dark or shed some light on inflammable cladding
Under clear skies of electoral peace or in the fog of class war
With a bunch of Corbyn kids or a crowd of eco-crusties

Set me up to fail on ground floor in penthouse or basement
Or halfway up where fire spreads like a whisper
Tie me down or set me free wherever I am
Up Hepstonstall’s winds or crashing below Hebden’s floodline

Or choked in Grenfell Tower or jogging the canal path
You’re my only half hope in a world turned contrarious



16th June 2017: OR even better after taking it with me to the Resonant Edge Symposium and performances (notably by Jan Kaplinski,  a 2 hour set!) it's even better.'Hepstonstall' was corrected this morning. 



Set Me Free

Turn the heat up on EU negotiations
Or switch the air con to full and freeze my misty words mid air
Let me step outside round the back where there aren’t any reporters
Or Britain First heavies badmouthing Ramadan first aiders

Stick me at the bottom of the pile or send me over the top
Trap me in the smoking dark or shed some light on inflammable cladding
Under clear skies of electoral peace or in the fog of class war
With a crowd of eco-crusties or a bunch of Corbyn kids

Set me up to fail on ground floor in penthouse or basement
Or halfway up where fire spreads like a whisper
Tie me down or set me free wherever I am
Up in Heptonstall’s gales or crashing below Hebden’s floodline

Or choked in Grenfell Tower or jogging along the canal path
You’re my only half hope in a world turned contrarious


16th June 2017




Set Me Free

Turn the heat up on EU negotiations
Or switch the air con to full and freeze my misty words mid air
Let me step outside round the back where there aren’t any reporters
Or Britain First heavies badmouthing Ramadan first aiders

Stick me at the bottom of the pile or send me over the top
Trap me in the smoking dark or shed some light on inflammable cladding
Under clear skies of electoral peace or in the fog of class war
With a crowd of eco-crusties or a bunch of Corbyn kids

Set me up to fail on ground floor in penthouse or basement
Or halfway up where fire spreads like a whisper
Tie me down or set me free wherever I am
Up Heptonstall in gales or crashing below Hebden’s floodline

Or choked in Grenfell Tower or jogging along the canal path
You’re my only half hope in a world turned contrarious