Tuesday, September 25, 2018

The Blind Lemons playing live in Shoreham




The Blind Lemons feature my old school friend Tony Parsons (not the novelist!) on guitar, with whom I performed in the blues trio Little Albert Fly in the 1990s and, before that, in the 1970s, as a duo. Here he is with his current band. It's very tight now. I saw him recently, when I was in Shoreham for my mother's funeral, and found this video looking for a pub to retire to after the event. See here and here for some images, including, in the second one, me reading 'Smokestack Lightning' (which is dedicated to Tony, the first part of Twentieth Century Blues), with the band doing a shuffle version of 'Motherless Child', all at the Duke of Wellington. (You can see a very different sole performance of the poem from 2008, here. with harmonicas and recordings.)