Saturday, June 24, 2023

Recovered poem from the 1980s - number two

 I write about my first recovered poem (and a couple of others that predate them) in the previous post, here: Pages: Recovered poems from the 1980s - part one (robertsheppard.blogspot.com) The reason the three I’m posting are different is that they represent a particular kind of abandonment: the abandonment of a mode of writing that comes from perceived poetic development, to use my more usual language, to changes in my poetics. From the sort of poetics I was writing here: Pages: Robert Sheppard: ‘So, now to the poetics’: from a Journal Entry, 22nd December 1983, to the sort of thing I would write only a few years later, here: Pages: Robert Sheppard: Far Language: (Flashlight) Propositions (poetics). This poem, ‘The Mystery Towers’ belongs to the 1985-6 period of rapid transition, and was lost, tossed aside as I fled. Somewhere before ‘Schrage Musik’ and other long poems. Here it is:


 The Mystery Towers

He and the picture?

                                 His image

Stays with you between

The glass towers. It watches

Her, instead of guarding the disused

Shadows in the doorways, sits

Opposite her image, sliding

The facts. It is as though she

Does not exist, gaps

In the sentences the

Reader hears in the rhetoric of

Crystal moments; she watches

Her younger self laughing:

A first person insufficiently

Pluralized and filled with

The most innocuous writing.

 

All sound from the world we

Lived in once: a frost-

Glittered piano chord. And

Blanks from another age turn

To oracle and prophesy.

My life: I can remember

Almost nothing. The darkened

Mystery Towers remain a real mystery.

 

5th July 1986

There are touches of Ashbery in that opening question. I think I did cannibalise some of these lines (they seem familiar when I read them!) For the ‘Mystery [to] remain a real mystery’, I’m going to tell you about the mystery towers in the next post. Here it is, with a third recovered poem: Pages: Recovered poem from the 1980s - number two (robertsheppard.blogspot.com) In three days' time! Until then you've got the first poem to look back at. Pages: Recovered poems from the 1980s - part one (robertsheppard.blogspot.com)

*

Locating Robert Sheppard: email: robertsheppard39@gmail.com  website: www.robertsheppard.weebly.com Follow on Twitter: Robert Sheppard (@microbius) / Twitter  latest blogpost: www.robertsheppard.blogspot.com