Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Recovered poems from the 1980s - part one

 

Before Christmas 2022, I went through old folders and files (though not notebooks, all of these ‘remains’ had been typed up, pre-digitally) and I discovered three poems I’d not ‘collected’, i.e., published (or re-published from magazines) in book or pamphlet form, from the 1980s. This discovery of poems which (now) look quite interesting and which were left behind is not a new thing for me (and it is probably not for others, too). In fact, I mention two already on this blog.

 Firstly, I write about my experimental sonnet ‘Pataphysical Sonnet’ (from about 1978) here: Pages: The Innovative Sonnet Sequence: Eight of 14: My Own Sonnets (robertsheppard.blogspot.com); more recently: Pages: Robert Sheppard: My Poetics of the Sonnet in 'The English Strain' / excerpt from 'Idea's Mirror' in The Lincoln Review; which is really a link to Poetics, Robert Sheppard (lincolnreview.org), a text (the 1978 poem) and my commentary on it and its techniques. I don’t think this one will formally be recovered; it is an ‘example’ in an essay about more recent sonnets.

Secondly, I recovered ‘Round Midnight’ (from c.1983), which could have appeared in Returns in 1985, but didn’t, probably because I thought it derivative of Roy Fisher. I had posted it on this blog here Pages: Stan Tracey i.m. (and History or Sleep) (robertsheppard.blogspot.com), as a tribute to its subject, Stan Tracey, who had just died, and recovered it as the opening poem of my selected poems History or Sleep, which was a surprise to me! See here: Shearsman Books buy Robert Sheppard - History or Sleep - Selected Poems. This is a recovered poem.

The first of my three ‘new/old’ poems dates from about the same time; there is the same touch of Roy Fisher about it, which – looking back – is no bad influence for a writer in his twenties at the time. I think it was published in Oasis though I’m not sure and I’m not sure my dodgy records would list it under one of the quite inadequate titles it seemed to have acquired. I think here I’m going to simply call it by the first title I found. (The other title was ‘Bedroom Poster’, which is a giveaway of its ekphrastic circumstance.)


 Designs

 

            after Millet

 

A dream of a life, a stubbly pastoral,

curving to the seasons’ pull:

 

three gleaners separated

from a crowd of stooping harvesters,

 

framed

by bedroom wallpaper that shimmers on the eye.

 

They follow safely at a distance

as if they’d been imagined there

 

or picked from the envious women

for their anonymous looks

 

and thus stand frigid,

pointing, scraping, bending for a few mean straws

 

against the hazed bustle

by the golden haystacks, the single man on the horse.

 

The stillness of sleep is the picture’s own thought

of autumn and birds dispersing, as it sinks,

 

but rises drily, each morning:

a surface scattered with dream-shards.

 

We rise to the world beyond this glazed scene

trapped in amber, cracked, and webbed onto paper:

 

a factory flag that tries to stamp its sameness upon

the morning sky above the blind buildings –

 

but only ever fails,

with a fresh wind tugging at its sleeve.

 

c. 1982/3

 The reference to the ‘factory’ dates the poem to residence in Norwich; I lived in what I called (in a poem in Returns) ‘the factory-island’ by Carrow Road football ground. A poetics piece from about this time shows that in some ways, my poetic practice hadn’t kept pace with my poetics. (That they often develop at different paces is one of my definitions of poetics.) I thought I might include it in a book of poetics but I didn’t. I posted it here instead: Pages: Robert Sheppard: ‘So, now to the poetics’: from a Journal Entry, 22nd December 1983. See poem 2 :Pages: Recovered poem from the 1980s - number two (robertsheppard.blogspot.com) : poem 3: Pages: Poem from the 1980s number 3 (robertsheppard.blogspot.com)

*

Locating Robert Sheppard: email: robertsheppard39@gmail.com  website: www.robertsheppard.weebly.com Follow on Twitter: Robert Sheppard (@microbius) / Twitter  latest blogpost: www.robertsheppard.blogspot.com