Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Patricia Farrell and Robert Sheppard at the European Poetry Festival, Liverpool, October 2026



We’ve taken part in another of Steven Fowler’s European Poetry Festivals, this one in Liverpool, at the Open Eye Gallery on October 4th 2026. 

Featuring Anna Luňáková and Michael Sutton / Hannah Kaip and Lenni Sanders / Thor Magnus Tangeras and Stephen Sunderland / Elspeth Mclean and Julia Rose Lewis / Patricia Farrell and Robert Sheppard / Tom Jenks and SJ Fowler / Pauline Rowe and Kate Deegan-Munro for Maria Isakova-Bennett (mostly in the image above)

All videos and some photos up here https://www.europeanpoetryfestival.com/liverpool26




I’ve been involved in many of these readings, going back as far as 2013ish, I think. See links to other years below. Because of a series of mishaps (which I won’t bore you with) I ended up paired domestically, as it were, with Patricia, with about 24 hours to compose (collate would be a better word) our piece. We did it and the video is here.

 


Waterfront Impromptu

 

Robert: It’s the beginning of the university year, but the story is different this time. This year, there is universal fighting and bloodshed among the students. One man attempts to counter the violence by showing a film which consists of a series of blank screens. He sits proudly in the audience but it soon becomes clear that the audience is bored. There’s more fighting. Two women are ejected, covered in blood, their own and each other’s. The situation in Ormskirk is hopeless.

 

Patricia:

 

sense knocking over the ladder

holding pigheaded to the economy of the immanent

imminent from masks to masquerades

logical pictures/ limits of the sayable

I gift you this cogito

or another monkey that they then may ape

throwing a few lively spanners

turns all philosophy homesick

you would be a fool not to assume/ as you have come to predict

your experience of

we look at the cheeseboard and the cheeses ‘behave’ as they ‘should’

but grate one through the slits// it doesn’t split

it splits the world it doesn’t split in

live as if/ each luncheon is your last

search for the short-beaked echidna

find ‘you might also like music for plants’

nothing/ nothing// I have transcended nothing

I’m chucking back the cucumber

won’t do nothing till I get a grape

 

Robert: He takes the film on the train to Liverpool, a place of relative peace. He is able to show his blank-screen-film at the Open Eye, or some other municipal venue, and is satisfied with the technical and general arrangements. However, he is still aggrieved and is planning ways to return to his beloved Ormskirk after he has shown the film. His friends and colleagues who have helped make the film gather around him. They discuss all sorts of arrangements, but they become more and move involving, excessive, given that Ormskirk is only thirty minutes away on a regular suburban metro rail line.

 

Patricia:

 

particulate I watch myself in all directions

waving hello and god be with you as I pass

if the universe is infinite/ then I cannot be unique

beyond the pale// the happly and unhapply fellows

I have no idea what an animal is

but one day in A&E in mid-November

I discovered my inner squirrel

a thought which is nice enough to hold

though not ergonomically designed to stand on a shelf

I am not a plant

coelacanth is the risen fish// consciousness is a red herring

for cogito ergo sum say aaargh!

 

Robert: We knew the day would proceed nicely, and we’d grasp the nettle of its stingy pleasures. ‘They can self-repair in a way I don’t quite understand!’ said the angel, of his wings, as we carried him back to our humble hut. ‘You’ll be safe with us,’ we said, ignoring him and feeling rather distinguished that a celestial being should appear in our midst, albeit accidentally. We laid him on the temporary bed we used when hunting, and we gave him a little brandy from one of our hipflasks. We were quite inebriated, but we knew even then that nobody would believe our stories when we recited them in the tavern. Once comfortable, the angel folded his injured wings about him and slept for many hours. An angel’s radiance, even while asleep, is a very fine thing indeed. We sat around the supernal creature as around a brazier in winter and our faces drank his spirit. We were blessed, without a prayer or a wing (except his, of course; otherwise he looked like one of us)! We felt warmth inside, a generosity to all the creatures of the earth, a feeling that everything was possible, and that ‘everything’ was all right, here and everywhere, now and forever. The angel awoke! He unfurled his spiky wings, and snapped his jaws, spangling the air with his sharp breath.

 

Patricia:

 

the universe all at once upon a time// the entire DVD

to be a player/ but have no drive

this is dedicated to all of us who hate the sun

sing to me

the perfect animal/ the fear of the lord

if pigeons can invent their own religions// which they can

you couldn’t make this up/ I didn’t

Maquillage/ Maskirovka// painted mouth

this is fun I said/ with the desire to be as difficult as Wittgenstein

Gesamtkunstwerk Gotterdammerung

I don’t need a biscuit!

 

Robert: Somehow the arrival of all his extensive extended family has to be factored into the filmmaker’s plans. He longs for the simple countrified bloodshed of the disorganized campus in Ormskirk and quite forgets his film. After all, it is nothing but a sequence of blank screens, with no sound, no dialogue. The violence begins to make sense, as he realizes that the film needs the audience uproar to make the film, complete and impure.

 

Patricia:

 

letting yourself evaporate

leaving your body in space

the bricks I laid// met/ unparalleled // indifference

a spiritual tomato has left these images

the tomato to which I am distantly related

the map or grid that picks your meaning

containing your own dismemberment// projected inside a camera obscura//

or I could play accordion outside Liverpool Central Station

killing the last bird of paradise in a fit of euthanasia

hiding the feathers under the floorboards

as I have wrestled poodles and lost

I have a mind to put my shoes on the table

more like a child/ or a chimp/ or a lunatic

how far am I prepared to go to rescue reality

drifting in the watches of the night

 

(Rico appearing as though by magic at the word 'chimp'.)


Patricia Farrell and Robert Sheppard     

 



It was a very jolly affair, as so often, and it was good to talk to Anna and Lennie in the pub afterwards. As well as Chris McCabe and Tom Jenks and Steve himself. (The latter performed their 2001 Proverbs which is a hoot.) I was also happy to offload some copies of Holme Fell to the Open Eye bookshop (see here: Pages: TREV EALES AND ROBERT SHEPPARD: HOLME FELL: a sample of landscapes PUBLISHED NOW!) It's a photography gallery.

As I said above Patricia and I (in different combinations and with each other) have been involved in collaborations organized by Steve over many years, Patricia even going on a North West Tour in 2017 (I think it was).

Here’s a previous Open Eye reading:

Pages: The Liverpool Camarade at Open Eye Gallery : May 2023: the videos of my collaboration with Sarah-Clare Conlon

My collaborative volume of fictional (European) poets Twitters for a Lark was launched at one of these events:

Pages: Twitters for a Launch part of the European Poetry Festival Manchester April 13th (set list)

I enjoyed this one with Rimas Uzgiris too. (There’s our text too)

Pages: Rimas Uzgiris and Robert Sheppard: collaborative poem 'Unreadable Expressions': text and video and notes

And Patricia and I have collaborated before, here:  Pages: Robert Sheppard and Patricia Farrell: Collaborating as part of the Manchester European Camarade: April 2019

Images and videos used by permission of SJ Fowler.